A complete and personalized approach
The services of L’ETAPE are addressed to persons having a  physical or sensorial functional disability who live on Montreal Island. Our services are offered in French and in English. For deaf and hard-of-hearing persons, we communicate in sign language (LSQ/ASL) and the oral technique. The integration of persons having a functional disability takes place in different sectors : manufacturing, public and parapublic, non-traditional trades and the new technologies, etc.
Each year, at L’ÉTAPE, more than 230 persons participate in our activities. More than 75% of these persons develop their employability and in this way, integrate the labour market.
The services are entirely free.
 Any person having a deficiency bringing about a significant and persistent incapacity and who is subject to meet obstacles in the accomplishment of everyday activities.
The services of L’ÉTAPE are subsidized by Emploi-Québec.
L’ÉTAPE MONTREAL : YOUR PARTNER TOWARDS EMPLOYMENT
- Personalized approach adapted to your needs.
- Evaluation of employability.
- Setting up of a file (medical certificate, analysis of qualifications, personal aptitudes, audiogram, etc.).
- Professional assessment.
- Personalized action plan.
- Individual and group counselling.
- Workshops: self-knowledge, demystification of the handicap, preparation of the curriculum vitae, knowledge of the labour market, phone contacts, interviewing techniques, group interaction, documentation centre and Internet, etc.
- Introduction to employers (adaptation of the work positions, negotiation for programs of governmental subsidies, etc.)
- Follow-up after hiring (intervention for the maintaining of employment).
Our integration and maintaining of employment services
By an integration service one must understand the entire process furthering the development of employability and, ultimately, the obtaining of financial autonomy.
The services offered by the employment counsellors are basically focused on the individual needs. The relationship of help as well as the plan of action are only elaborated upon after a solid evaluation of the employability situation, taking into account among other things : the process of the appearance of the disability, the residual abilities, the level of academic training, the work experience, the paraprofessional experience, the financial situation and other pertinent factors. Furthermore, an important part of the counsellor’s work is to guide, to direct and finally to help the seeker in his approaches.
The establishment of the profile of development of the participant’s employability thus allows the elaboration of an individualized plan of intervention. It is therefore at this stage that the counsellor undertakes with the person having a functional disability the necessary steps in order to respond to the needs of this latter. It is also at this stage that he will establish the co-operation with partners such as : rehabilitation centres, local centres of employment (CLE), school commissions, association milieu, etc.